The cleanup of the North Canal has already begun! Rocky Morrison and his crew were recently seen picking up trash, metal and recyclables from the canal and along its banks. To see pictures of Rocky and his crew, click here! This is a preview of the North Canal Cleanup that will be held on Thursday October 20 from 10am-2pm. Participants will have the opportunity to ride in boats and also kayak or canoe down the canal while picking up trash and recyclables.
Call for Eco-Art celebrating GWL’s 10th Year
For Groundwork Lawrence’s Annual Glow Gala and Fundraiser
November 17, 2011, 6:00 – 10:00 PM
What is eco-art?
- It incorporates at least one of the “4 R’s” (Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Repair).
- It promotes environmental awareness.
- It educates others about environmental injustice and/or conveys a vision for addressing it.
- It is comprised of environmentally-friendly materials.
A big thank you to everyone who came out to Manchester St. Park on Saturday and joined us for the 10th Annual Spicket River Cleanup! We could not have done the event without your support. To see some of the highlights from Saturday, click here!
Recently taken pictures of construction along the Spicket River Greenway have uploaded on Groundwork Lawrence Flickr! Photos were taken along Steven's Pond/Manchester Street Park, Malden Mill, Kennedy Park/Central Catholic, DPW Yard and Immigrant Place. To see these photos, Click here
The number of community gardeners participating in the community garden network doubled this summer. Groundwork Lawrence, working in partnership with the City of Lawrence, converted five vacant publicly owned lots into space for growing fruits and vegetables. The lots were previously dumping grounds for trash or overrun with invasive plants like Japanese Knotweed, but now they are sources of pride for the neighborhoods -- often inspiring landowners to make improvements to their own properties.
Saturday September 24, 2011, 8:00 - 1:00
Join us at Manchester St. Park to kick-off and end the day's activities. Registration starts at 8:00 and by 9:00 AM you'll be at one of many sites along the river! Come back at noon for a free volunteer appreciation BBQ. For more information or to learn how your business or group can participate in or sponsor this year's Spicket River Cleanup please email Rosahref=> or call (978) 974-0770
Please join us for MA Farmers Market Week at one of Lawrence's two Farmers Markets:
- Wednesday from 9am-4pm on Appleton Way between the Court House and City Hall
- Saturday from 10am-2pm on the corner of Lawrence and Park Streets in the GLFHC Park St. Clinic's Parking Lot
Please join us to celebrate the ribbon cutting for the Community Gardens!
August 16 at 10:00 AM at the corner of Spruce and Myrtle (Lawrence, MA...in case you were wondering!)
See you there
GWL Spotlighted in Other Publications
- Looking to the Future – Massachusetts Land and Parks Conservation and Their Future The Official Website of the Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs (pdf)
- City of Possibilities: Lawrence on the Merrimack Mass Benchmarks Magazine (link)